Sluggish dampers

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:15:06 -0800

Vanderhoofven wrote:

 but it MAY have something to do with
> my tightening the damper screws.

I agree, if the screws were quite loose, tightening them may have
re-oriented the damper wire enough to cause it to bind. If the guide
bushings were very snug it may have not taken much movement to cause the
wire to bind.  To answer your question below, humidity can cause the
underlever flanges to bind up just like any other flange.

You need to isolate your problem by loosening the screw enough to let
the lever drop, then gently move the lever up and down to see if the
wire binds in the underlever hole.  If it does, bend the wire to right
or left at the appropriate bends until the underlever goes up and down
freely without lifting the wire.  Then tighten the screw finger tight
about where it belongs and again move the lever up and down to see if
the guide bushing is binding.  If you do it in this order you may not
have to ream the guide bushing.  If you do, then loosen the screw,
remove the damper wire from the piano and gently move the reamer into
the hole to spread it.  If you have several to do, do all of them before
you re-regulate them.

> I have a chance to go back and correct this problem on Wednesday.  I am
> thinking of lubricating the sluggish damper wires with Protek, and possibly
> reaming the guide rail bushings.  Are there other things to try?
>
> Also, can sluggish dampers have anything to do with the humidity?  Some
> days the dampers stick, and other days they don't.  Do guide rails change
> that much with the humidity?

I have had some success with a heat gun and then firmly moving the lever
up and down to press the bushing felt a little.

Hope this helps,

Warren
--
Home of The Humor List