Steinway Crown

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 13:20:28 -0500 (EST)

David,

I like Les Smith's advice about replacing several strings. Be sure
terminations are clean at both ends. I don't think you'll hear much
difference in the tenor, but if there's poor sustain there, it's worth a try,
because if I heard poor sustain there, I'd definitely suspect the
terminations. I'd start higher up before I went to the effort of removing
(and saving) an agraffed string. I'd be more eager to hear something around
A5 and something around C7 or D7. You can indeed tell about the sustain by
plucking, but I'd actually file a hammer or even put in a known good one, to
hear if there is any power near the top. With a flattish board I would be
looking (listening and measuring) for bridge roll, which can kill the power.

I'm one of those (also from California) who has heard a reasonably flat board
sound great. Because of the mild and constant climate in your area, if the
board showed no signs of stress (cracks, a lot of compression stress) I would
offer the customer the option of leaving the board. If the piano sounds good
now, what is his likely risk? A set of strings (and maybe a pinblock) maybe
fifteen or twenty years down the road, when he is forced into a soundboard,
versus the known thousands of $$ of the present cost of a board. Some clients
consider this a good risk, and I often do too. I would maake sure I was
satisfied with the present sound of the samples, though, and I would offer
this discussion and option IN WRITING.

Bob Davis