Crown/Termination Points

Dave Sanderson pianobiz@juno.com
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 14:54:43 -0500 (EST)

>>> Michael Wathen <Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu>wrote
>04/01/97 06:03am >>>

>My gut feeling is that tone in pianos die because over time the strings
are
>coupled more strongly.  They dig into the wood and pins and they learn
how
>to become one with the bridge and soundboard system thereby transferring
>their energy too quickly into the system.  In new pianos the degree of
>coupling is much less so that sustain is much better.

Michael
An interesting observation and a good topic for discussion.  I have had a
problem piano under my care which has a very indistinct tone especially
on a hard blow in the area approximately notes 50-65.(next to last
section on the tenor bridge) I call it a "plinky" sound.  The note is not
clear as a bell, but sounds distinctly frayed, right from the onset.  I
found two things would correct the problem; tapping the bridge pins
slightly sideways to increase side bearing OR needling the strike point
to fluff up the contact surface.  How both of these are related I still
am not sure.
I do know that in order to continue fixing the problem I can't keep
tapping bridge pins, so I have resorted to fluffing up the strike point
and going home with an improved sound, but not a permanent solution by
any means.

I am looking forward to trying the soundboard test which Vince has
suggested in this area.  I visit the beast again tomorrow. I'll keep you
posted if any results are worth sharing.
FYI:  This piano is only twelve years old. Has a new bridge in our
attempts to cure the problem. It has Renner red hammers. Original board.
Lots of hours of frustration.

David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
Pianobiz@juno.com
We just accumulated 20" of snow this very day.  NOT  April Fool's either.

----------------REPLY----------------------------------------

I agree with Michael. Bridge recapping is an
essential consideration on these older pianos I will
also point out that crown is most important right
under the bridge.  When measuring for crown, don't
be fooled.  The carpet thread should not touch the
board anywhere (except at the ends).  Quite often
there will be a space in the middle, but the board is
touching the thread in places other places too.
Also don't just limit your test along side of the
longest rib.  Do some testing up in the treble too.
Actually the first place I test for crown is around the
third and fourth rib from the treble end.

Vince Mrykalo
BYU
"My dogma ran after my karma"