Sluggish dampers

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 15:53:45 -0500 (EST)

David:

So many cats to skin, so little time... On the topic of tight damper guide
rail bushings, I would suggest that you consider using the same easing
technique used on center pins -- water-sizing the bushings. When rebushing
a guide rail, I usually use a size 7 bridge pin to size the holes. After
inserting the bridge pins into each hole, I will soak the bushing with a
10-15% water:alcohol solution, allowing it to dry overnight. I prefer this
method over reaming for the same reasons I prefer not to ream center pin
bushings -- ripping material out is crude and often imprecise (my opinion,
shared by many). You can do this for individual bushings in the piano if
you're careful. I use a bottle with long tube to deliver the sizing
solution.  You do have to take out that damper in order to get the correct
sized bridge pin in place. And, yes, you can speed things up a tad --
again, if you're very careful -- by using a *low heat* heat gun (read
"hair dryer" - *NOT* Ungar heat gun or flameless torch!). But what's the
hurry?

			     Ron Torrella, RPT
			Assistant Piano Technician
			  University of Michigan