Chickering grands

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 17:46:24 -0600

Dear list
	In the 70's I restrung and repinned a Chickering quarter grand about 5'1".
 When I stripped it down I found that the pinblock was in 4 seperate
sections and pieces of wood and all screwed (Machine screws) from
underneath thru the pin plank into the plate.  The dampers screwed in and
was it a pain to undamp and damp back up again.  The cheek blocks were
about a 1/2' wide.  Based on this and other early Chickerings I have seen I
can't figure out how they got such great reviews.  They had some really
wierd designs.
James Grebe from st. louis
pianoman@inlink.com