Steinway Crown

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 07:46:21 -0500 (EST)

I agree with Michael and Vince about the bridges being very important.  I may
suggest that, if possible, it isn't always necessary to recap.  The sustain
can be increased by removing the old bridge pins, sanding the bridge until
the string grooves just disappear, renotching (if necessary), and installing
new bridge pins.  Takes about 4 hours.

Bill Spurlock had an article on this in the Journal.  I've done this several
times and it works quite well.  I finished rebuilding a S&S L last month with
very little sustain.  Used the same board, but did this repair.  The piano is
very live now.  It is already a favorite at the school it belongs to.

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota