Steinway bass strings

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 10:52:17 -0500

>  Mapes says they have the scale...

Dear David and List,

Many years ago I noticed that the new strings I got from various string
makers sounded worse than the ones I took off.

I took some time for me to realzie that the string makers were shortening
the copper wrap, especially at the agraffe end.  I spoke to two of them
asking why they did that and the answer was, "I don't know, we have just
been doing it for years."

Since that time, I have designed my own bass scales and sent the
specifications to the string makers.  Use this core, this wrap, start here
and stop there.  I then get the string, the sound and the appearance _I_
wanted, not what the winder decided I should have without regard to
inharmonicity or tension.

It is more expensive this way, but I get what I want.

I have seen severe errors on original scales that make it possible to get a
better sound out of some pianos than the manufacturer got.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com