a Baldwin damper noise

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 19:13:12 -0500 (EST)

>A good customer's newly rebuilt 1959 Baldwin L has developed a nasty
>wooden-sounding tic on the first note in the tenor section, located
>somewhere in the damper assembly. (It goes away when the right pedal is
>depressed.) The piano has had substantial daily use for about 2-3 months,
>since the rebuild, and this problem is new.

Susan

I had a similar problem with a Baldwin F grand. The probelm is the damper
head  touching the plate when it comes up. You can't see it touching when you
just lift the damper up, but when the back of the key drives the damper up,
it wiggles from side to side, and that's when it touches the plate. It
doesn't move from side to side, as if the bushing is worn out, it turns from
left to right.

Rebushing the guide rail will not solve this problem. The way I solved the
problem was to sand off the side of the damper head. I had to do that,
because when I tried to bend the wire, to move the head away from the palte,
the damper would not damper the left string.

Good luck

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis