Japanese Yamahas

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 20:46:25 -0600

Dear list,
	I am asking for your opinions or experience with imported used Yamahas
made originally for the Asian market.  I have been told and believe that
these pianos are built with a different moisture content in the wood before
the pianos are assembled.  I have also been told that these same
instruments , now subjected to our warmer, drier homes will have problems
such as cracked soundboards, loose pins, etc.  I have also been told that
Yamaha frowns on them coming here but does nothing to stop it.  I normally
advise my clients to steer clear of these particular pianos because of the
above reasons.
	Today I inspected 2 of these imported used Yamahas, a U-1 and a U-3.  Both
were in good condition today.  I told my client, that I inspected them for,
the same information I quote above, as well as that they were both in good
condition at present.
	This practice is relatively new to this area (St. Louis, MO) and am
interested in how these imported used Yamahas do in the real world in the
U.S.A.  I was told by the dealer here that the importer in Florida has had
no particular problems with them and had been importing them for 20 years.
	Do any of you have first hand knowledge of what to expect from these
pianos in the future and will share that knowledge with me so I can be more
direct in my vague answers I give to my clients asking about these pianos
Thanks ,
James Grebe from St. Louis
pianoman2inlink.com