a squeak and convention saveings

Donald Mitchell dsmitch@pacifier.com
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 23:14:28 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

A few days a go I tuned an old Kanabe grand.  The owner complained before
I started of a buzz in e4.  I herd the buzz immediately but could not find
it in the hour and 45 minutes I spent on the tuning.  After finishing the
tuning I looked for the buzz for another 45 minutes.  I could not find it.
It sounded like pore bridge notching or something in contact with the
strings of this unison.

I had to give up because of a nother appointment but I promiced to return
and continue the search.

I asked my boss, Ken Servbiss, what he thought it might be and he
suggested a buzzing agraphe.  I returned and checked out this possibility
with no luck.

I removed the action and looked for possible causes and found no guilty
parties.  By accident I bumped a coil spring attached to the knife of the
sustinuto rod and it made the identicle sound I thought I heared in the E
string.  I incerted some felt between the coils of the spring and then
tested to see if the spring still functioned addicuately and it did.  The
sound was gone.

As to convention saveings.  I am looking for a roomate at the 1997
national PTG convention in Florida.  I have a reservation and would Like
to share my room with a male, non-smoker/drinker.  Anyone interested in
shareing a room send mail directly to me.

Don Mitchell director of instruction Emil Fries Piano Hospital and
Training Center