Discounts- Yes!

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 00:55:04 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Folks,
     I offer a 10% discount to all my piano teachers, at this point there are
some 25+ in my customer files with more than 8-10 students. These people
refer HUGE numbers of customers to me and the discount is a thank-you (...and
a thank-you for MY teachers in years past). Music teachers, voice teachers,
and professional musicians also receive the same discount because they DO
service their pianos more frequently... and refer customers in my direction.
They all appreciate the discount, and I like the; "We're all in the same
boat.." post I saw here recently. Good observation!

     Once a year I hand each of my piano teachers a stack of 'Student
Discount Coupons" worth $5.00/off any tuning or service call. Included on the
coupon is the phrase "We offer this as a way to help students appreciate the
benefits of regular piano service." As student pianos are often $300 PSOs,
the intial tuning call leads to substantial further work in future. The
teachers are pleased to offer the coupons, as it enhances their professional
appearance (...oh! ...and mine too I suppose!), and helps them convince the
parents to get the pianos serviced.  Well worth the small amount of trouble
to print and distribute IMHO.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff @ aol.com

ps-
    In the same vein (...no! not the jugular!); I offer a 20%discount to
dealerships on first call tunings, and I DO NOT charge them for a pitch raise
on a new instrument, unless it was clearly just uncrated and shipped. Also
offer substantial discount on minor regulation and service. Why? I LIKE
servicing new pianos, and I consider positive dealer relations a MAJOR plus
for my business and my customers. (Yah, you can look up a number of soapbox
tirades from TunerJeff on that score, TechList, PTG-L, and Journal, you bet.)
I service pianos for most of the dealerships in my State, partly geography &
partly because they REALLY understand when you talk to them about money...
giving it to them, that is.

pps-
'70 VW Bus (Camper-Wesfalia stuff- Sink, closet, foldout bench/bed etc)- Have
put over 202,000 miles on it in 7 years since purchase. Had a '66 VW for a
decade before that, but lost track of mileage when the odometer broke at
350,000+ (...and not all of that was mine). Current bus is well splashed with
professional lettering proclaiming who I am, and what I'm doing. The $200
spent on the signs was paid for within 30 days, just by the number of people
who button-holed me in parking lots and asked for my card. We DON'T go fast,
so I don't worry about letting folks know who just went by....
:>)
jef