bridges/seating

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 07:41:42 -0500 (CDT)

At 09:06 PM 4/6/97 -0400, you wrote:
<snip>
>   I personally think that the straightening of the wire's slight meniscus in
>front of the bridgepin is responsible for much of the drop.  An improvement
>in the phase relationships of the strings seems as obvious to my ears as the
>difference made when the three strings of a trichord are leveled. ( as well,
>imho, it should.  We are talking about evening the restorative forces in the
>strings here, just like the Robinson "Straight-Mate" is designed to do under
>the capo and agraffes, no?)
>      The difference in clarity and the lack of falsebeats for long periods
>of time, take this treatment out of the emergency category for me.  It is
>standard operating procedure.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ed Foote
>Precision Piano Works
>Nashville, Tn.
>
>{ hope that don't look like a rant,  there sure have been some dang sensitive
>people on this list, of late.  (:)}}

Ed,

Excellent point. As usual, I didn't go into enough detail. As a first time thing, done as you describe, it's a good finishing touch on a newer piano that never got the final prep. I have talked to too many techs who do this with a lot more enthusiasm, and
 on nearly every tuning. The point I didn't make but meant to is that it's not a magic bullet cure for loose bridge pins, mis-notching, etc. It's also very definately not a case of strings riding up on bridge pins! If this initial seating takes care of th
e problem the first time, and for a long time, it was a good fix. If it needs done each time the piano is tuned, you're fixing the wrong problem. I think that's what I mean. How can one be sure if one is confused?

Incidentally, your reply was so devoid of rant, I thought my Rant Meter was broken. Kind of spooky. <G>

 Ron Nossaman