iron vs steel in music strings

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 17:04:12 -0500

For the nit-pickers,  the "iron" in "iron wrapped" wire is probably
steel.  Any metalurgists on the list?  Steel is iron that has a
certain amount of carbon in it. When it has a lot of carbon, it
becomes cast iron. Wonder what the diff. between that and cast steel
(mild plow steel, plow steel, and improved plow steel) is? If  true
iron was used to make music wire, and then they switched over to
steel that woud be interesting to know.
	From perusing the Encyclopedia Brit. it appears that all wire is
made from steel,
"it (manufacturers' wire) may be made from low-, medium-, or
high-carbon steel or one of the many alloy steels". Because no where
in the article is iron wire mentioned, doesn't mean iron is not or
was not used for making music wire.
	But for sure  wrappings on bass strings have been ferrous. Whether
one calls them "steel wrapped" or "iron wrapped", the idea gets
acrost.
Richard Moody