Epoxying bridges. was Sanding Bridges

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 07:20:42 -0500

----------
> From: SGrossner@aol.com
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: Epoxying bridges. was Sanding Bridges
> Date: Monday, April 07, 1997 4:33 PM
>
> In a message dated 97-04-06 12:34:37 EDT, Tim Coates writes:
>
> <<  If you don't like using epoxy on bridges I suppose you could do
without.
>   But it does help fill hairline cracks.  >>

Dear Sam,
	Perhaps your friend was mistaken and said epoxy rather than hot hide glue.
 The hot hide glue is a method I have used in the past for removing the
finish on soundboards and sides of bridges.  You brush it on with a 3"
brush and let it dry.  When it dries it pulls up the old finish like onion
skin.  It is scary at first, but it really works
James Grebe from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com

>    I know this is a little off the mark, but I have a question for the
list
> about epoxying bridges. A rebuilder of note (notes?) in my area at times
has
> built a duct tape wall around the entire bridge and then poured epoxy
over
> the whole affair. After overnight drying, he pulls it off as one sheet
and
> presto, all cracks filled, everything. He says it removes the varnish as
well
> as the graphite bridge coating. Sounded good to me, easier than pulling
each
> pin individually and more thorough. However, when I tried it-hah!... All
> got was a recalcitrant glob that refused to come off. In effect, ruined
the
> piano. Fortunately I tried it first on a no -name upright to check.
Anyone