I Raise the pitch...on the pitch raise.

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 06:50:55 -0700

David ilvedson wrote:

I have a phobia towards broken strings.  I would rather
> raise a bit than lower a bit.

David,

On the initial pitch raise do you break the tuning pin flat first before
you go up in pitch?  This simple procedure reduced my string breakage on
pitch raises by about 80%.  It will also allow you to add 10% of the
original measured flatness to the high treble section (around F5 and
above) to offset excessive flatness in that area.  I use 12.5% overpull
in the bass and this leaves it slightly flat afterwards.  The problem
with not overpulling at all is that many times you may be still chasing
the pitch several tunings later and that there will be enough drop off
in the treble to destroy your octave stretching up there.  I find it to
be more stable in the long run to tune it down from a slightly sharp
position after a pitch raise.  Just my opinion.

Warren
--
Home of The Humor List
Warren D. Fisher