String breakage (was Re: I Raise the pitch...)

Greg Newell gnewell@en.com
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 23:42:19 -0400

Keith A. McGavern wrote:

> >On the initial pitch raise do you break the tuning pin flat first before
> >you go up in pitch?  This simple procedure reduced my string breakage on
> >pitch raises by about 80%...
> >
> >Warren D. Fisher
>
> Dear List,
>
> Thank you Warren, for mentioning this procedure, as it has stirred memories.
>
> I have heard this method mentioned many times in my years of tuning pianos,
> tuning the pin flat before going up in pitch as a means of reducing string
> breakage.  I was wondering if any others also have personal experience or
> knowledge concerning this procedure as really being beneficial, or is this
> possibly one of those proverbial "wives' tales" handed down through the
> ages.  Don't have a clue myself.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Keith A. McGavern
> kam544@ionet.net
> Registered Piano Technician
> Oklahoma Chapter 731
> Piano Technicians Guild
> Oklahoma Baptist University
> Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA

Keith,

       Yes! It works!! I use it on older pianoes untuned for a long time
that might have minor rust on the strings. Tuning slightly flat before
the "yank" breaks the rust bond and makes the rest smooth sailing.
                                  Greg--