lifetime job?

KUANG v137z2ng@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 14:20:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hi list,
	I currently go to a college where many students (that includes me)
don't like the tuner of our school.  Last week I discussed with him about
the Steinway D I was to perform on that night.  I pointed out some problem
like rattling low D and its surrounding notes (maybe a crack in the bass
bridge?  He claimed that _all_ of the base notes were supposed to do that.
I was shocked...), some notes that really needed to be voiced (I
specifically told him what notes they were!), and, needless to say, some
tuning.  Just before the concert, I went to check to piano and nothing had
corrected except notes were set to unison (however, stability was not that
great).  When I played the highest E to the conductor, he instantly
knew the note was flat! (actually two highest E's were flat and the unison
didn't stay) E's were important because I was playing Grieg Concerto in A
minor, and E is both in A minor tonic chord and its dominant chord, E
major.  (this has nothing to do with well temperament, it was oringinally
tuned (I don't know how long ago) in e. temperament.) I complained that to
my piano teacher (he's the chairman of the piano department) the next day
but he didn't say anything.
	What should I do about this?  Or there's nothing I can do about
it because the tuner has a lifetime job?  By the way, he was nowhere to
be found before and during the concert.  (I wish I had my hammer handy...)

Kuang Wang