restringing

Peter Kestens KESTENS.P@Debcom.be
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 21:22:27 +0200

PETER KESTENS
Het Muziekinstrumentenatelier
BELGIUM
KESTENS.P@Debcom.be

List,

I tuned  today (8/04/97) a GAVEAU grand; a week ago I inspected the piano
and the owner asked me to provide the missing strings.  I had to take away
the second one of the bichords because the tuner who normally tuned this
piano didn't do it until now.  I have given the strings to a string
suppluyer and there he said me that they coudn't effort the tension they
need.  I' ve ordered a totally new set for the bas section.  Now I want to
know wether I have to diminish the tension of the non-wounded strings for
replacing the bas-section or not? Is it more safe to diminish or can I do
it (without taking any risks) without diminishing the tension?  Any
comments would be gratefull accepted.
Peter