fortepiano tuning

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 15:57:09 -0500 (CDT)

=09
In line with all of the recent discussion about discounts and the like, I=
=20
am wondering if you tend to charge something less than the normal piano=20
fee for tuning fortepianos. The big, 6-octave triple strung instruments=20
take me every bit as long, if not longer than a modern piano, but there=20
definitely is a perception that we should charge less. This may be =20
because harpsichords tune relatively quickly, as if that mattered. I=20
regularly service a large Streicher copy at a reduced rate, which I=20
regret, and now that player=D5s college wants me to take care of their=20
Stein copy as well. I am inclined to say no discount, at least not until I=
=20
have been there a few times and have assessed the condition, stability,=20
use, and expectations of the instrument.=20

Thanks,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College