Satisfying musicians

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 23:28:05 -0400 (EDT)

<< I did notice on tuning the left string
 that it was a bit wild and hard to get a good unison.  Any ideas?

Bill,

On the Yamaha, you might try reshaping the v-bar. It sounds like there might
be a slight burr or pis-shapen section under this particular string.  Also,
you mentioned seating the string, but did you make sure that the bridge pins
are tight in their holes?  This can be a culprit sometimes.

On the second instrument, you obviously have a client who is focusing on one
possibly minor situation and missing a multitude of gross errors in the piano
(many of which you have already graciously fixed.)  The dummy damper should
help but it sounds like this instrument needs some serious attention if it is
this age and is having these problems.  You didn't mention of they are the
original damper felts, so I don't know the condition.  If they used split
wedges in this section, check to see that the slit is deep enough and doesn't
have a little felt ball built up in the middle.  Another thought is to check
and see which strings are leaking - if it's an outside string (or strings)
you may need to insert a small piece of twine to spread the damper and make
it damp more efficiently.  Of course all of this is based on a few
assumptions, so I hope some of it's useful.

On the truth in advertising, you never said that you satisfied "all" of the
musicians...

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.