Satisfying musicians (#1)

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 23:55:50 -0500 (CDT)

>The first has a recent Yamaha U1 and called me back to eliminate what she
>called a "twang" on B5.  I had heard nothing on tuning that note, but had t=
>agree on careful listening that there was a very slight "rough" edge to it.
> Holding fingers on the segment between tuning pin and upper bearing point
>made no difference.  I seated the string at the bridge.  No change.  Pulled
>the piano out from the wall.  The board seemed tight all over;  scraped for
>possible glue from joint of board and liner, and tightened all the sound
>board buttons.  No change in sound.  The "rough edge" was so slight I could
>not always be sure I was hearing it, but she claimed it was there.  Seems
>more obvious with the cabinet assembled than when open for tuning.
>
>I tend not to suspect the teacher's ear, as she is a recent byu graduate (a=
ny
>opinion on that, Vince?) apparently in her 20's, ethnic asian but I assume
>American-born, no language barrier.  I did notice on tuning the left string
>that it was a bit wild and hard to get a good unison.  Any ideas...
>
>Bill Maxim, RPT

Dear Bill, List,

Maybe you already checked these areas, but just failed to mention it.  And
I don't recall any of the responses to your post suggesting these courses
of action either.  So, here goes.

I didn't see any mention of making certain the strings were level, or that
the hammer was spaced correctly, or that the hammer was fitted to the
strings, or that the hammer had been voiced for any possible crusted spot,
however small.  Sometimes it is so easy to overlook these things.

Sincerely,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician