Tying knots (was Re: lifetime job?)

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:43:07 -0500

Kuang, Susan & others,

   My question here is if "he didn't want to go back to his studio to get
strings", where did he get the wire to tie the string? Am I missing
something?
   And on the subject of tying strings, I agree with some of the other
posts about, especially, a concert instrument not being the place to have
a tied string. Even in a concert situation, I could install a new string
much quicker than I could fight with tying a knot. Then there's always the
danger of the knot breaking or coming loose. Then there's more time lost
trying to redo it. Not for me!
   I understand the "reasons" for tying a knot, but I, personally, don't
like to do it. (I know. I need to spend more time practicing tying them.)
:-)
   Thankfully, I'm in a situation here where I don't have to worry about
it. Even if I have to stay for the concert to retune it, if needed. JMHO.

Avery

P.S. And before someone asks "what about a broken bass string?", for a
performance, I'll just take one off the other 'D' (soon to be *three* other
D's), and install it. Then go to my office and call a source to have a
replacement sent overnight.
   Now if it were a concerto situation....... Well, maybe I *should*
practice my knot tying after all. :-)

>  >I've seen those broken strings he connected, it's
>>truely amazing (either he was trying to save school piano wires or he
>>didn't want to go back to his studio to get strings).
>
> Kuang --
>
>He probably just didn't want to make endless visits to pull up new strings.
>The old wire is already stretched out. I used to be opposed to knots in
>treble strings, but, although I usually replace the whole string, I can see
>the other side now.
>
>Susan Kline

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music