String breakage

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:52:31 -0500

Kuang,

   This is something you should *seriously* consider changing. I don't know
for a fact about that practice causing more broken strings, but it isn't
necessary at all. You introduce a lot of tuning stability problems (which I
believe you mentioned having in one of your earlier posts) and you add a
lot of excessive wear on the tuning pin hole, which will eventually
contribute to loose pin problems.
   The tuning flat thread was primarily referring to a very slight "bump"
on the pin to break loose any strings that were rusted at the pressure
points. I can see no advantage at all of going a half step flat before
pulling the string back up. But I can see a *lot* of disadvantages of doing
so.
   Just my opinion. Thanks.

Avery

>Ever since I began to tune flat before going up in pitch, more and more
>strings break from tuning, _not_ playing.

>I broke at least 3 strings while I was tuning last month.
>The reason why so many string broke is because I always tune at least a
>half note flat (100 cents) before going up in pitch (almost always).

SNIP

>Kuang Wang

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music