Tying knots (was Re: lifetime job?)

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 11:59:45 -0500

Kuang,

   I was referring to *my* knots, not his. :-)

> Then there's always the
>> danger of the knot breaking or coming loose. Then there's more time lost
>
>His knot never broke or coming loose.

   Years ago, I believe there was a supplier in California who sold
pre-stretched wire. I never tried it, so I know nothing about it. Anyone?

>I was thinking if any supply house stock "pre-streched" wire?  Maybe
>there's no such thing?

   The screwdriver is not a good idea. You need to use something softer
than the wire itself. There is (used to be?) a string stretcher sold by
the supply houses. Some people use a small brass rod. I usually use a
vertical hammer shank. After doing this, be sure and check the string
leveling.

>what's the best way to strech a new string in a very short amount of time?
>Or is it a bad practice after all?  Whenever I need to strech a new
>string, I use a plier and squeez the string at the very end after the
>bridge (this is commonly known) _and_ apply moderate pressures (in pulses,
>but *slow*) on the sounding section of the string near the bridge (I've
>never seen a string break at that spot) using a flat screwdriver (I
>haven't figured out a better tool for this, any ideas?  I noticed this
>might creat a nice spot for rust).  Is this a bad practice?  The result is
>much better than not doing anything though.
>
>Kuang Wang

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston