String breakage

Tunapiana@aol.com Tunapiana@aol.com
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:41:26 -0400 (EDT)

atodd-thanks for clarifying to Kuang about tuning flat and string breakage,
etc. I tried to explain in my reply to this thread.

Greg Torres, Technician
Niceville, Fla
tunapiana@aol.com

<< Subj:	Re: String breakage
 Date:	97-04-10 12:12:16 EDT
 From:	atodd@UH.EDU (Avery Todd)

 Kuang,

    This is something you should *seriously* consider changing. I don't know
 for a fact about that practice causing more broken strings, but it isn't
 necessary at all. You introduce a lot of tuning stability problems (which I
 believe you mentioned having in one of your earlier posts) and you add a
 lot of excessive wear on the tuning pin hole, which will eventually
 contribute to loose pin problems.
    The tuning flat thread was primarily referring to a very slight "bump"
 on the pin to break loose any strings that were rusted at the pressure
 points. I can see no advantage at all of going a half step flat before
 pulling the string back up. But I can see a *lot* of disadvantages of doing
 so.
    Just my opinion. Thanks.

 Avery

 >Ever since I began to tune flat before going up in pitch, more and more
 >strings break from tuning, _not_ playing.

 >I broke at least 3 strings while I was tuning last month.
 >The reason why so many string broke is because I always tune at least a
 >half note flat (100 cents) before going up in pitch (almost always).

 SNIP