"Ticks" on a Harpsichord

Albert Lord AlbertLord@compuserve.com
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 20:03:56 -0400

>I'd like to ask about doing this lubrication on a harpsichord. Our best
one has developed the "ticks" Les mentions and I was wondering about the
advisability of using this. The harpsichord ticks are on the front bridge
where the strings pass over going to the tuning pins..<

Avery,

The one harpsichord that I tune regularly has this problem, but I would
hesitate to use
Protek on the front bridge the way it is used on the front string felts of
a piano when the
strings don't slide well.   Protek works well wherever steel or brass
contacts felt but it doesn't
seem to be appropriate for metal on wood.  Graphite should help but the
string would
have to be loosened to apply it.

Albert Lord.