String breakage (was Re: I Raise the pitch...) <Pine.PMDF.3.91.970410111314.543898898A-100000@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu>

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:27:47 -0700 (MST)

Hi again Kuang:

Please excuse me for addressing you as Mr. Kuang in a previous post.

It is possible to break strings by turning the pin backward.
Especially is this true when removing a string because the string has
taken a set where it bends around the pin.  If one does not use his other
hand to keep a good measure of tension on the string while loosening the
pin, the string may split and then break.  The main reason for loosening
a string this much is if it is necessary to remove to add another twist to
to the string or to roll it to remove corrosion from the wrap and core.

For those of you who want to tune the string flat before raising pitch, do
not turn it back very far for this same reason.  Just break the corrosion
at the Agraffe or V-Bar.

In normal pitch raises, I do not lower the pitch, It adds to instability.

Jim Coleman, Sr.