pre stretched strings

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 00:06:22 -0500

An interesting idea pre-stretched strings.  However the debate is "is
it stretch or is it bends"? that causes a new piano string to be so
unstable at first, and then in good 80 old pianos be so bad for
business.  In "stretching" a new wire with the grooved or roller
tools, screw drivers or whatever,  there is the risk of damage to the
notches at the bridge pins., and also of stretching the string
(especially its bend) beyond its limit of elasticity.    Certainly
when observing the seating  marks on a bridge with the strings
removed, a lot of variation can be seen. I wouldn't want to be the
cause of it, especially those "fan" shaped grooves.  Some one
mentioned a dent in the bridge pin.  I am wondering since all the
strings swagger, shouldn't all the pins have a dent?  Or only those
whose strings got stretched?  I have not looked for that before.
	 Any how the theory that it is the bends in the strings that take a
while to form makes sense to me.  After all if a piano string
"stretches" how can it do so and not violate the laws of elasticity?
And look at the bends the wire goes through, at least six, or seven
if you count the becket.  It would be impossible to prestretch a
piano string if these bends are the culprit in causing new piano wire
to go out of tune so fast.
	So that is why a tied string is so much more stable in tuning than a
new string, the bends are already there, at least four of  them.
Those that have used the same (treble) wire that broke at the pin by
settling for one and a half turns would know for sure. That's eight
new bends on pre stretched wire.  And no I don't think that's why
Steinway used to put four turns on their upper pins, or maybe they
still do. ; )
Richard Moody

> From: KUANG <v137z2ng@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Cc: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: Tying knots (was Re: lifetime job?)
> Date: Thursday, April 10, 1997 11:12 AM
>

> I was thinking if any supply house stock "pre-streched" wire?
Maybe