Bass String Replacement

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:48:42 +0000

John:

One time, I took the extra trouble of replacing a set of bass strings one string at a time. I
had tuned the piano the month previous and wanted to preserve the tuning as much as
possible. I ended up with a piano that was still pretty seriously out of tune - the bass, of
course, but also the tenor section.

Since that time, I remove the bass strings wholesale (and replace them retail, you bet). I
think it has been adequately demonstrated, here on list as well as elsewhere, that the
structure of a piano can easily withstand this kind of a strain.

If it would make you feel any better, you might check for plate cracks.

As David says, go for it.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT