Notes 85-86-87-88

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 09:45:16 -0400

I tune by ear, and recently with reference to a VTD.  My question:

In the treble, length and size of string is roughly equivalent for most
pianos.  Why do some sound right with lots of stretch in the high
octave, and some need little at all.  For example:

I have a very good tuning on a Steinway O with about 8 cents stretch at
C8.  I also have a very good tuning on an A II with almost 35 cents at
C8.  These are somewhat similar pianos, and to my ear, both of these
pianos sound "right", yet they are both tuned quite differently.  Both
of these tunings have been complimented by some pretty serious
professional musicians (not patting myself on the back, just trying to
make a point).  What gives?

The idea that the ear likes sharper tones as pitch increases does not
jibe with experience.  The piano seems to decide what the ear will
like.  Why?

Wondering - Frank Weston