Tying knots (was Re: lifetime job?)

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 13:55:42 -0600

At 09:43 AM 4/10/97 -0500, Avery wrote:

>   My question here is if "he didn't want to go back to his studio to get
>strings", where did he get the wire to tie the string? Am I missing
>something?

I usually keep a number of "tails" (heads?) in bass-string core sizes in my
case with half the knot already tied. It makes tying strings *much* easier
when you have to do it.

Plain strings don't really "need" to be tied except in extreme emergencies
IMO.  A toolbox containing cans of plain strings, stringing tools and a bag
of silica gel to keep them all dry doesn't take up much space. Murphy's law
applies here too, though.

Speaking of silica gel, every one of my tool cases and string boxes has a
bag in it.  Even though winter humidity runs at 5-6% here I'm not taking any
chances when the temperature can rise 40 degrees in an hour.

>a tied string. Even in a concert situation, I could install a new string
>much quicker than I could fight with tying a knot. Then there's always the
>danger of the knot breaking or coming loose. Then there's more time lost

As Avery mentioned, if you practice tying you'll get faster at it,
especially if you have half-tied tails with you (A tip I got from the
PTJournal I might add). On the average home piano tying bass strings saves a
lot of hassle and you don't have to worry about the new string sounding
different or having to return later and losing money on the deal. I say
"losing money" because replacing a bass string usually means two additional
trips someone has to pay for, and if you take into account the time and
charges in ordering a new bass string, going back and installing it and then
going back a week later to retune it the "bill" could theoretically be over
a hundred dollars (CDN) for one string! Most of my customers aren't that
wealthy. "Universal" bass strings are an option, but one that has never
really satisfied me.

BTW, the 1929 nine-foot Knabe in the Banff Springs Hotel had a knot tied in
the *speaking length* between the winding and the agraffe of D#1 for over 20
years. The tied string sounded as good (!) as the other original iron-wound
strings so it wasn't replaced until they were all done a couple of years ago
when the piano was rebuilt.

Concert pianos in serious use are a different story. I know of more than one
concert venue that keeps sets of spare bass strings for their piano(s). It's
cheap insurance for pianos that tend to break strings considering the cost
of a spare set off-the-shelf from NYC. Mind you, I have NEVER replaced a
broken bass string on any of the half-dozen Ds I look after so it's not
really worth it to me. What is the "shelf-life" of bass strings... any ideas?

One D in regular service (meaning played a dozen times a year in this hall)
has the original 40-year-old strings on it and to my knowledge has never had
a broken string of any kind. I was going to restring it a few years back but
I'm almost hesitant to do that now and even kept the old hammers and shanks
when they were replaced. Is 40+ years (with the original strings, original
action, intact bridges and "perfect" soundboard) unusual for a D on a
concert stage?

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com