Notes 85-86-87-88

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 19:07:53 -0600

At 09:45 AM 4/12/97 -0400, Frank W. wrote:

>In the treble, length and size of string is roughly equivalent for most
>pianos.  Why do some sound right with lots of stretch in the high
>octave, and some need little at all.  For example:

I suspect that part of it is in the tuning of the aliquots (if it has any).
Take a piano that you feel needs a big stretch, measure it, mute off ALL the
non-speaking string segments and tune it again (aurally).  You may find that
without the sympathetic vibrations the piano will "want" to tune with less
stretch.

This may be why some tuners (<grin>) tune the last few notes quite sharp.
Perhaps there is an extremely sharp partial in some of those segments which
the tuner is attempting to match since their fundamentals die so quickly. If
you find a grand where you think the high notes are too sharp, pluck down
the aliquot segments to see if there are any that match them.

Could that be the answer Frank's looking for?

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com