String breakage

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 14:02:21 -0500

----------
> From: Kenneth W. Burton <kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: String breakage
> Date: Saturday, April 12, 1997 6:33 AM
>

> 	I have wondered if the differences could be accounted for by the
> fact that the hammer may be accelerating in speed as it strikes the
string
> or decelerating in it speed. Perhaps this possibility, along with
widely
> differing rates of acceleration and deceleration may provide the
answer.

Interesting point.  Once again the laws of physics must be
considered.  Perhaps the hammer is actually decelerating since it
lets off.  When the force that causes acceleration ceases, I think
you begin deceleration at that moment.  Maybe someone from physics
101 can say.
	But suppose a decelerating hammer made a difference, could you
control it? To decelerate you first have to accelerate.  Maybe then
the let off should be 12.5 mm instead of 2.5 eh?      --x(-;Þ