1815 Broadwood Sq.

Edwin A. Hilbert hilbert@panther.middlebury.edu
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 01:33:15 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Rob and Karen,
        You indicate that you are looking for a circa 1815 Broadwood.  At
the college we work at, there is a 1792 Broadwood.  It was all original
until a few years ago when another local technician did a major rebuild
on it. Unfortunatley it later assumed what the British call the English V
shape. Namely, the left rear corner came up considerably due to the
increased new tension.  The tech did a good job of duplication and of
documentation. I believe he kept all of the original felts, strings,etc.
as well.
        Also the instrument can be seen without too much trouble. So if
the age is close enough, let me know and we can work further.  Also, be
aware that instruments of this vintage are still to be found by the
hundreds in England.  Literally!  If you wish to pursue that furter, I can
give you some leads, or you can ask Berrie Heaton on the net here.
Ed Hilbert RPT
Vermont