wrong?

Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts keenan.counts@sympatico.ca
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 07:39:32 -0700

I humbly stated:
> >Hi, list:
> >
> >If this is regarding the nickel/iron question, I'm afraid a magnet won't
> >help.  Nickel is about as magnetically susceptible as iron.

To which Newton Hunt, citing no evidence, except his belief that an
American 5-cent coin is made of pure nickel, which I doubt--probably
mostly copper, as you can see when the edges get worn--
repied:

> Nichol is non magnetic.  As is copper.  Aluminum if anti-magnetic (repelled
> by a magnetic field). [!?!?!?!?]

I have never met this " nichol ", but according to the CRC Handbook of
Chemistry and Physics, 60th edition,  which I just happen to have here on
my desk, Nickel is "hard, malleable, ductile, somewhat ferromagnetic, and
a fair conductor of heat and electricity [page b-15, column 2]. It is
described in the table of magnetic susceptibilities on page E-126 as
having infinite magnetic susceptibility, along with Iron and Cobalt--only
these three elements are so described (ferro). All other elements and
inorganic compounds have numeric values listed.

Moral:

a:  Don't assume that a piano technician is not a scientist.
b:  Sayin' so don't make it so.

Tim Keenan (M.Sc.)
Noteworthy Piano Service
Kitchener, ON