Notes 85-86-87-88

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 16:13:33 -0700 (MST)

Hi Jerry:

Yes, there is a difference of pitch when plucking a string first from
one direction, and then in another.  This is easily noticeable where
there is a wild beat going on.  My theory is plucking sideways gives the
frequency produced with the string terminating against the bridge pin,
whereas plucking vertically, the string bears on the bridge groove which
extends in front of the bridge pin and is therefore at a higher pitch,
the speaking length being shorter as it terminates against the wood.

Jim Coleman, Sr.