String breakage (was Re: I Raise the pitch...)

Mon, 14 Apr 1997 14:50:44 -0700

Keith, Warren, et al,

I am busy catching up (again) so  apologize in advance for the possibility
of breaking
an established sequence here.

This issue of breaking the pitch back is one of the "wive's tales" I've
practiced for a very long time.  As with all else, much depends on the
control you have of your technique; but my sense of this procedure is that
it breaks loose the odd bits of rust, etc, and smooths out (however
minisculy) the bends (kinks) in the wire at bearing points.  Yes, I break
strings, but very infrequently - besides, I'd much rather break something
while I'm there to fix it.

Best.

Horace

>>On the initial pitch raise do you break the tuning pin flat first before
>>you go up in pitch?  This simple procedure reduced my string breakage on
>>pitch raises by about 80%...
>>
>>Warren D. Fisher
>
>Dear List,
>
>Thank you Warren, for mentioning this procedure, as it has stirred memories.
>
>I have heard this method mentioned many times in my years of tuning pianos,
>tuning the pin flat before going up in pitch as a means of reducing string
>breakage.  I was wondering if any others also have personal experience or
>knowledge concerning this procedure as really being beneficial, or is this
>possibly one of those proverbial "wives' tales" handed down through the
>ages.  Don't have a clue myself.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Keith A. McGavern
>kam544@ionet.net