Loose Plate bolts, Baldwin SD-10

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 18:13:07 -0700

While tightening bolts on an SD-10, I found 3 in a row that were very
loose so I tightened them snugly but I didn't crunch them.  When I sat
down to start tuning and happened to glance at the three bolts, to my
horror I saw that the area of the plate under those bolts was no longer
straight, but had dipped lower between 1/8 to 1/4 inch?  I really didn't
measure it because I immediately loosened those bolts again to
approximately the way they were before!

What's going on here?  Should they be tightened anyway?  I know I should
jerk that plate out of there and replace the plate supports, but this is
a church, I don't think they'll buy it.  Should they be left a little
more than hand-tight, or what?

The bolts are located just forward (toward the keys) of the massive
delta shaped plate bracing that supports the back of the plate where the
bass bridge is.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Warren
--