String breakage (was Re: I Raise the pitch...)

Rob Stuart-Vail rob_sv@msn.com
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 23:10:21 +0000 (UT)

Couldn't resist putting in my $0.02 on the pitch-raising issue:

I've been very satisfied with the results of my PR's, and for 15 years have
had very few broken strings.  My simple rules are:

1.  If the piano is less than 30 cents flat I will bring it to pitch in this
one tuning session, usually by means of a careful pitch raise that takes me
nearly 30 minutes, and a final pass which takes a bit less time.  I guess you
could say that virtually every tuning includes a pitchraise, anyway.

2.  Unless it's a fairly new piano, I never aim for more than 10 cents sharp
on the first pull.  If it's more than 30cents below pitch, I plan on two
sessions.

3.  I tell the client beforehand that "this is a repair tuning - a pitch
raising, just to get the piano in the ballpark".  It is not to be confused
with the tuning I will be doing a few days or a week from now.

4.  I always break flat until I am sure I have covered every pin in the piano.

So if I find an older piano that is less than 30 cents flat, I bring it to
pitch in that session, but if it is beyond 30 cents, I set my tuner one cent
sharp for every three cents flat (measuring in the temperament area) and I add
one cent to the total.  [If it's 15 cents flat, I pitchraise it to 6 cents
sharp of A=440].

I can afford to make a second trip for a finish tuning because:

a) I have arranged my work area to be as local as possible.
b) My PR fee is 80% of my regular tuning fee.
c) I charge a regular tuning fee for the second visit.
d) The stability I get from the above procedure is excellent.  If the piano is
decent, there is no further problem, and the client is happy.

p.s.  Today I "rendered" the strings to the bridges on a Steinway 45 - the top
treble particularly had been bad bad bad for some years with false beats, and
I finally convinced the client that it was time for this to be taken care of,
along with action service.

         The result was amazing!  Most of the false beats are gone.  Loose
bridge pins? I don't think so.