modern players

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 21:45:47 -0500

Dear list,
	The problem I see with the new computerized player systems is that we all
know that the computerized part is not going to last as long as the piano
part.  Meanwhile, many structural components (keybed and keyframes) are cut
away.  The piano was designed to be rigid and if the keybed and keyframe
were designed to be as thick as they are then cutting them away has got to
affect the longeveity of the structural parts.  I f there is anything I
hate to see it is a computerized player piano sitting in a public place
playing its' heart out and no one really paying attention to it.  How sad.
I see this fad on acoustic pianos as a Gee Whiz fad and hopefully it will
in the future confine itself to digital pianos that don't wear out their
parts playing when no one is listening.
James Grebe in St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com