Optimizing repetition

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 15:38:53 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings,

Joel writes;
> Set the back edge of the jack slightly (at
>or about slightly), <snip> behind the knuckle wood instead of directly lined
up with >the rear edge.  That is, the jack at rest is a lttle more away from
the
>player than we normally think it should be.  The variation is not so
>much that the jack doesn't perform as normal and it will pass all the
>above tests.  Assume all else is equal and the jack will be moving the
>exact same distance as it would with the normal adjustment specs.  But
>after it is tripped, it winds up a little closer to the knucle than
>normal and is just a little more ready for the next repetition.

     This confuses me.  Is this position describing the jack being moved
distally so that it is farther under the knuckle?  If so, ( all other things
being equal), it will move farther when placed in this position,  since the
tender is brought closer to the let-off button and will contact the let-off
button earlier.  And how does the rest position, which is governed by the
jack adj.screw, have any effect on the position of the jack when the hammer
is held in check?

Puzzled in Guitar Town,
Ed Foote