false beats was ...

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 09:16:50 -0500 (CDT)

Hi all,

I'd take exception to stepping up bridge pin sizes with repinning/notching.=
 A bigger diameter pin will increase the stagger angle and side bearing,=
 putting more stress on the bridge and making it harder for the string to=
 render through when tuning. Arbitrary re-engineering worries me (been=
 "snake bit" too many times by my own past experiments). I always epoxy, or=
 CA, bridges when I restring, even when I don't re-notch and replace the=
 pins. I figure, if the holes are haggled up badly enough that a little=
 epoxy won't fix it, it probably needs recapped. I epoxy or CA new pins in=
 new caps too. My reasoning here is that the original pins probably started=
 out tight and are now loose enough to pull without tools. If they had been=
 epoxied in originally, what kind of shape would the bridge be in now? I'm=
 hoping for better results down the road than the manufacturer got the first=
 time. I have seen bunches of nice looking rebuild jobs that tuned miserably=
 because the bridge pins were tight enough to resist pulling (at the bottom=
 of the hole), but loose enough (at the top) to cause a beat. Even when the=
 strings had been seated, leveled, fitted to hammers, and blessed, there=
 were still false beats in a bunch of them. If the rebuilder had soaked a=
 little CA around the bridge pins before restringing, the tunability  of the=
 final product would have been much better. My opinion, my experience.=20

more comments below=20

At 01:02 PM 4/15/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi again:
>
>comments are interspersed below.
>
>When a bridge is planed down or sanded down to eliminate the string=20
>grooves, of course the bridge pins have been previously removed. The
>notches will have to be re-cut to start at the centerline of the pin=20
>holes. If no. 6 pins were used before, put in no. 7's.  If there were
>hairline cracks emanating from the bridge pin holes, these need to be=20
>epoxied first.  If it is severe, then recapping of the bridge is=20
>indicated. If recapping of the bridge is done, do not use just any=20
>maple. It must be rock hard sugar maple. Silver maple is not hard enough.
>Softer maple will give and eventually split and will also allow b. pins
>to bend.  One now defunct piano company used soft maple bridges and you
>depend on the bridge pins of the bass bridge to split out almost=20
>immediately, sometimes on the dealer's floor. I don't want to mention the
>name of that company, but its initials do not rhyme with summer, fall, or
>spring.
>
>> The few (re-strings) I have done, false beats were not a problem.
>> Also the *most* of the restrings I have seen did not have false beat
>> problems in a few years after.=20
>> 	I was shown how to remedy strings ridding up on the bridge pins, by
>> tapping with a hammer shank.  However it is temporary.  Probably has
>> to do with the sound board rather than the bridge swelling (shrinking
>> I would imagine) with the humidity and temp changes. But why only one
>> here or there?   The tech who showed it claimed he could get the
>> string in question to do it (become false) by certain playing. =20

Just curious here. Explain please, how does the soundboard cause false beats=
 that can be cured by tapping strings down?

>I have never seen a string deliberately made to have a beat in it.

Me either, but it bears looking into. The ability to induce and repeat a=
 phenomenon is the best proof there is of any theory.

>My observation has been that wild strings do not come in ones and twosees
>but in large bunches, except on Steinways at notes 51 or 52 where I think
>factory stringers pry the bridge down to get the first strings around the=
=20
>bridge pins.
>
>Jim Coleman, Sr.

Yes. All strings in any given piano aren't going to develop the same false=
 beats any more than they will all go out of tune the same way. They don't=
 all start out identical, and there are too many variables along the way.

 Ron Nossaman