damper seating

Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:33:01 -0700

Sam,

This should be fun!

I don't know anyone who won't admit to "having a little trouble" with dampers.

Several things come to mind:

Renner used to make a pair of damper pliers, which are used heated, to
"form" tri- and bichords as needed.  Mine paid for themselves with the
first job.

Someone suggested  (lightly) sanding the damper blocks - works for me.

In terms of configuration, my tendency is to replicate what comes off the
piano, unless it is
obviously not working and/or poorly thought out.  Most instruments _seem_
to need a combination of splits and blocks for proper damping.

If I understand your method correctly, there may be room for just enough
movement of the head/felt to contribute to these problems.

In terms of felt, I have used Yamaha CFIII felt for some years now.  It
works with a minimum amount of fuss and bother.

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu

	"Always forgive your enemies,