damper seating

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:02:08 -0400 (EDT)

> I have been having a little trouble with trichord felt in the last two
>  pianos. Namely, on a soft blow or on a gradual return on the key or
sustain
>  pedal.
(Sam Grossner)

Sam, it's very common for either the string spacing or the thickness of the
two sides of the wedge to be uneven. You can isolate the problem quickly by
damping each string in turn with your finger. For instance, if putting your
finger on the left string stops the problem, the right side of the wedge is
too wide, and you won't want to squeeze both sides of the damper, just the
right. If the left AND right strings ring, either the cut isn't deep enough,
or the cut needs to be wedged open slightly with a piece of string.

The other thing to watch out for is string leveling. I always do this before
the final damper work.

Bob Davis