Chickering tone

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 18:51:41 -0400 (EDT)

> I would like your ideas on ways of enhancing the " volume " from and
>tonal quality of the strings in the treble section of a Chickering grand,
>8 1/2 ft., c. 1850 ?   This piano had previously been given a new
>soundboard, tenor and treble bridge re-capping, new shanks & hammers, new
>strings and the action regulated.
>   Crown is present in the board. (amount ?)  Bridge is said to be tight
>to the board. Soundboard is tight to the inner rim. (as can best be
>determined). Hammer manufacturer unknown. (hammer felts have been
>chemically treated to harden).  Piano is tuned to A-440.
>    I would appreciate this information for my own knowledge and also for
>a fellow technician who's not " on line ".
>

>    Your comments!
>
>    Michael Hart

Michael:

There are several ways this can be done, if it can be done at all.

First off, the tone doesn't come from the strings. The tone comes from the
hammers. Before doing anything with the hammers, slide the action in and out
at the high treble end, and see if the tone can be improved somewhat doing
that. This would indicate that the hammer is not hitting the string in the
right place.

If this is not improving the tone, check to see if there is enough
downbearing a that end of the bridge.

The last thing you might want to try is to replace a the hammers in that
section. If you have some left over high treble hammers, put them on and see
if that makes a difference. By the way, you don't need to find a hammer with
the hole drilled in the right place, or the right length moulding. You can
reshape the moulding, and redrill the hole to the position what you need.

Hope these tips help.

Willem Blees
St. Louis