Bass String Replacement

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 23:34:22 -0500

Antares wrote:

> The first time I took all the bass strings off, I noticed that the shape
> of the soundboard changed dramatically. While getting the new strings
> ready for restringing, I heard a loud crack! and...the soundboard was
> ruined.
> Taking off all the bass strings at once, causes a tremendous difference
> in tension on different parts of the soundboard. I wouldn't take any risk!

If we could go back to this contribution from BTT (Before Tax Time):  A
chilling report from Antares.  I, for one, would like to know a little
more about this piano.  Was it a modern design?  Was it up to pitch at
the time of destringing?  Was it an older piano intended for a lower
pitch level that was up to a=440Hz level?  Was the soundboard in healthy
shape to begin with?  Was it dried out excessively?

Most pianos, as far as I know, begin life in the factory with the plain
wires installed and up to pitch before the bass strings are installed.
Why are the plain wires up to pitch already?  It was explained to me
that this rolls the long bridge forward as it will do and allows the
strings to be seated onto the bridge (there's that subject again!) and
the strings seated on the hitch pins and the stringing braid put into
the area behind the bridge, before the bass strings cover these areas up
and make it difficult to work there.

I do not know of any detrimental effects to soundboard or plate from
having full tension on the plain wires (and also any wound strings in
the tenor area) with no bass strings installed.

Of course, this is not exactly the same as _removing_ the tension from
already strung up bass strings.  As far as experience, I have removed
bass strings only from several pianos for full replacement with no
harmful effects.  Anyone have any further thoughts?

Joel Rappaport
Round Rock, Texas