Strange partials

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 06:54:19 -0700 (MST)

Hi David:

Bass strings can do some weird things. Especially when there is uneven
at the starting end of the copper wrap, there is a double thickness of
copper for about and inch.  It was discovered many years ago that extra
However, it does not do this evenly.

Several companies have utilized this type of string making with the idea
that reducing inharmonicity is the ultimate goal. At the University where
I used to work, there is a Steinway O which has that kind of Bass
stringing.  Many Yamaha pianos of 20 or 30 years ago used that type of
bass strings. I don't remember seeing this on Kawai pianos.  Is this by
any chance the kind of strings you have on the K20 you recently tuned?

If there is enough interest, I will make some graphs for the list which
show the typical deviation from normal inharmonicity patterns so that
what I am talking about will be more obvious. Oh well, for now here is
a description of the type of string I am talking about (in ASCII art).

                                   ----------
      -------------   ------------/ ----------\
-------------------   ------------------------------------ to Loop-->
      -------------   ------------\ ---------/
                    ^              ----------
      C             |               A         B

                    --- obvious removal of much of the string length
                        for illustration purposes.

The center line going to the loop represents the core wire. The winding
starts at point A going toward point B where it reverses direction,
climbing over itself.  It locks in the winding so that it cannot become
loose at the swedging of the core wire.  When it gets back to point A
it drops down in contact with the core wire and continues on to the end
of the swedging at the front end of the string at point C.

With strings of this type it is quite possible to find negative inharm-
onicity for several different partials.

Even with normally wrapped bass strings, one can notice erratic behavior
of the first 2 or 3 partials.  It is my belief that this would not happen
if the winding passed through the Agraffes and bridge pins, but with the
extremely high tension of piano strings, we cannot get away with this
as they do with guitar strings, violin strings etc.

Jim Coleman, Sr.