Tonal control from the keyboard -Reply

Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:19:22 -0700

Richard,

You wrote:

>What I would like to know in regards to the hammer hitting the
>string, and only that tiny parameter of piano tone for the moment,
>what can be controlled other than its velocity?
>Sometimes to see the whole picture especially as technicians, we must
>focus on one event  at a time, scrutinize it and go on to the next.
>That does not mean one is having  "such a narrow view"
>How else are we to get past "There is so much that we as technicians
>don't know about the piano"  How do we get to the dialogue with the
>pianist of what can and cannot be controlled?

This is a very real, vast issue.

The problem exists on many fronts.  As technicians, we are, as a group, not
well educated musically - and yet, as a group, pianists know absolutely
nothing about the piano as a mechanical device.

These are _heavily_ qualified generalizations, folks, so please, don't melt
my terminal.  If you are a music graduate, think back to what, if anything,
was offered as to even the most rudimentary introduction to piano
technology as a part of your curriculum.  If you were lucky, there was a
one semester/quarter course.  If you were really lucky, the person teaching
it wanted to do so, and was capable of teaching this arcana in a group
setting.

Over the years, I have worked with about 4 or 5 pianists who really had a
substantive understanding of the instrument.  Most have knowledge that ends
at the fallboard.  Conversations with other technicians who also do a good
deal of concert work have convinced me that this experience is not unique.

We could make a great, long thread here, and really have some good dialogue.

Best to all.

Horace

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu

	"Always forgive your enemies,