Bass String Replacement and BOOM

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 20:38:06 -0400

> the varnish was craquel=E9=20

We use the word aligatored, refering to the skin of an aligator or
Checked as in checkering, the cross hatching cuts made in a tool handle to
assist gripping or holding.

I cannot see how you, as a technician, would neccissarily know what would
happen when stress of relieved off the board.  Strange stresses where there
already just wating for a poor schnnok to come along and victemize.

I think this piano had an apron, to move the contact of the bridge toward
the center of the board, and the leverage of that bridge caused the
soundboard to "oilcan" and when the stress was off the board tried to return
to its normal state.  (oilcan refers to old style oil cans that you push
from the bottom).  This means that there was something amiss with the
structure of the piano to permit that to happen in the first place.

Not you fault, but to paid, cried and ...

Not your fault, but no way to prove it.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com