spinning wire

Benjamin Treuhaft blt@igc.org
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 08:11:51 -0700 (PDT)

     Shopping for copper wire for bass-string making is more
complicated than I thought.  Renner copper wire was $17.50/kilo seven
years ago.  I was just in Brazil where the Fritz Daubbert piano factory
buys Brazilian copper for about $5.00.  I want to buy Cuban copper wire
(under $4.00) but the samples I have are brownish, not suitable for
making pretty strings.  I would like to know the specifications for
copper spinning wire e.g. how you get the nice yellow color, and how
exacting are the diameter tolerances.  Anyone know this stuff?
Benjamin Treuhaft
Underwater Piano Shop
Berkeley, Calif